Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was accused of intentionally "stealing groceries at a

Customer Question

I was accused of intentionally "stealing groceries at a Walmart in the self check-out line. I truly thought I had scanned everything in. In one case, one of my sacks spilled and everything I put back in it I thought I had scanned. They were multiple items of the same thing. When I told them worker that I scanned it and it should have "beeped" at me when I put it on the scale she said "not always". This seems like a technology problem to me. Also, I asked her why she didn't approach me if she thought I put something in my bag I hadn't scanned. Her reply was basically that she was trying to catch people. I have NEVER stolen ANYTHING in my life and have no prior convictions (or even accusations) for anything. I am a highly educated university professor. They called the police and I was issued a citation. I have to appear in court. Do they have a case? Should I get a lawyer? The items were all food and under $50.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of this matter. What does the citation say? Do you need to appear in court? Or pay a civil fine?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Shoplifting under $50 in Texas is a Class C misdemeanor. It does not carry jail time but a fine up to $500. I suggest, you consider consulting with a local attorney to have this matter dismissed.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Apparently, the scanner was malfunctioning and in that regard, a local attorney should be able to negotiate with the District Attorney to have the matter dismissed. These type of scanner malfunctions can happen. One reason I never use the self check out.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

At any rate, I suggest you do not want to have the misdemeanor on your record.