Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

What is the punishment and abetting

Customer Question

What is the punishment for aiding and abetting
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

For which crime?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Theft of property 2nd degree ( ring) family dispute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please reply

What are the circumstances of the theft? What is the value of the ring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure about the value. One cousin accusing another cousin of pawning a ring that was supposedly taken without permission. Ring has recently been recovered supposedly from a local pawn shop. Says she has a receipt where she pawned it. It was since discovered that she had taken all the accusers documents from her purse. As far as I know ,the accuser could have used her documentation to make this prove available for her purpose of signing this warrant. Have not tried to hide this person. Only learned this Friday that a warrant was signed. We will be taking the cousin to the police station to turn herself in so this can be resolved. What should we do.

Thank you. Theft charge statutes impose various punishments based upon value. For example, under $500 may be a misdemeanor. In Alabama, theft of an item with a value greater than $2,500 is felony that carries a penalty of 2-25 years.

I would recommend that the cousin retain an attorney before turning herself in, and not make any statements to the police without the attorney present.

The attorney should speak and negotiate on her behalf.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no money to retain a lawyer on her behalf. So what should the next step be. She does not have a criminal record nor has she ever been put in jail

She can turn herself in, but I recommend not making any statements to the police. She will be processed, and arraigned. At her arraignment hearing, if she cannot afford an attorney, she will be given a public defender.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she does that,can she be bonded out until her trail?

Yes, if the judge determines that she is not a danger or a flight risk, she will likely be given bail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we we get in trouble because she has been staying in our home. This has been no secret and she has no where to stay. We just learned of this Friday. If she turns herself in, are we considered aiding and abetting? And if so, what should we do?

No. You are not assisting in a crime. And, she is not a fugative, thus you are not harboring a fugitive.

From what you have said, you have not committed a crime.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to rate my response. Just Answer only gives me credit if the customer rates the response. Thank you.