Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was convicted of 2nd degree assault 31 years ago. Is there

Customer Question

I was convicted of 2nd degree assault 31 years ago. Is there anyway to have my record cleared so I would be able to legally own a firearm?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Hi:

My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to try to answer your legal question today. Since you were convicted of a class B felony, as I am sure you are aware, you are not eligible for expungement (which would have the effect of "destroying" your records and making it as you had never had a conviction before.

Also, it seems you are aware that your only option here is for a pardon from Oregon's governor (more accurately, it would be a clemency petition that would then allow you to petition to expunge your conviction).

You mentioned that the Governor was forced out of office. This really would not make much a difference as it relates to your pardon request. Any governor that takes the position would still have the ability to act on your request. Has your request been denied?