Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I am a sex offender who was convicted in 2007 of possessing

Customer Question

Hello, I am a sex offender who was convicted in 2007 of possessing 1 image of illegal pornography while I was active duty Air Force. I served a sentence of 6 months and have never been on parole. My wife is active duty and we were relocated to Pensacola, Florida in 2010. I have never missed a registration date and obey all laws. We do not live on a military base but recently I have learned that Naval military police have, on 4 occasions (in the 10 months), asked my active duty wife about me, her relationship to me, and where I reside. I don't know why this is occurring. This has never happened before. Is this normal? is there a new law that I don't know of? Is this harassment of my wife and do I have any recourse. I don't know where to start because this is really stressing her out but we don't want to draw any undue attention to her, as it can affect her job in a negative way.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

What is her MOS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife is an air force member working with air force navigators on a naval base. her job is to ensure that the navigators in training are schedules properly for flying hours, are up to date with training, and are cleared for flying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her job has not changed since my felony conviction in 2007 and this has only happened recently

I ask because there may be a concern if she is married to you and is required to hold a certain level of security clearance.

They are also possibly concerned about you entering base.

They're allowed to ask her about her relationship to someone that was convicted of possession of child pornography if they view the relationship as pertinent to her job or the safety of the base.

If they are continually asking her about it, and it rises to the level of harassment, she can file an Art 138 complaint with her command.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have been stationed here for over 5 years which is why its odd that this is occurring now. After doing some looking, i found that its only against the rules on naval bases to live on base and not to visit, as Pensacola nas is open to visitors because of the museum they have here. Additionally, she has already passed the background check and she received her updated clearance level 2 years ago and to be honest i did stress out over the check, as i would never allow her to lose her position over me. This clearance was done through the airforce so im concerned as to why the navy would be involved and why now. They only verify who i am, where i live, and if she knows me, as if it were a random check.

Sort of. They may ban or prohibit from entering anyone they wish as long as the grounds for doing so are legal and tied to the protection of the base and persons within. The base commander could, for example, ban anyone convicted of possession of child pornography from entering his base.

Also, the security clearance investigation is not performed locally. It may be that the local command just found out. And while I don't know if this is why, they may be probing to determine whether to revoke her clearance, or to ban you from base, or both.

Or, it could be that someone found out about your relationship with a person in the Navy, was concerned, and contacted the command with a request to look into it.

It this point there a many uncertainties. If the questions persist, and rise to the level of harassment. She can file a complaint. Until then, there's not much to be done.

Please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if the customer rates my response. Thank you.

Please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if the customer rates my response. Thank you