Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Texas: Can I get my arrest record expunged. 2007 I was

Customer Question

Texas: Can I get my arrest record expunged. 2007 I was arrested for theft $50-$500...I think I pled guilty and paid a small fine. It's on the internet with my photo. Can I get that removed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, in the criminal law category I don't often get to give good news, and this time is no exception. If you got a diversion disposition (community supervision, no plea of guilty, dismissal after completion of sentence) your offense can be expunged. If you got a deferred dispostion (you pled guilty, served your community supervision and your case was dismissed) you'd be eligible for an order of non-disclosure. But if you simply pled guilty to your charge and you have a conviction, the only way you can get your conviction expunged is if you get a pardon from the governor of Texas. I am attaching the application for that if you want to apply for one. Pardons are not easy to get, but applying for one is free and does not require a lawyer.

As for the internet and your photo on the web, convictions are matters of public record. You can ask the site to remove it, but if the conviction is the truth they do not have to. There are companies such as reputation.com that can help you with something like this. If the photo can't be removed, it can at least be buried so that it goes towards the bottom of a Google search and won't be seen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure whether I pled guilty, got deferred adjud., etc. How can I find out?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You would have to order your criminal history. If it shows up as a conviction, then it is not expungeable. If you got it deferred, it would show up on your record as an arrest and a dismissal.

The clerk of the court can likely pull this matter up on the computer and be able to tell as well. But if he's not sure, ordering your record from the state is the way to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE A FREE TRIAL
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Experts here have nothing to do with customer billing or site membership. If you have a question about the sort of membership you have, you need to contact customer service at***@******.***.

Meanwhile, please rate my service to you as that is the only way I get credit from the site for the time and work I put in to provide a correct answer for your question.