CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

What is the penalty first offense in pa

Customer Question

What is the penalty for Dwi first offense in pa
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon.

Administrative Penalties

• First offense DUI carries no mandatory minimum license suspension for first offenders with a BAC range of .08 to .099. BAC range of .10 to .159 carries license suspension up to one (1) year, and a BAC range above .16 carries administrative license suspension of one (1) year with potential for hardship/occupational licenses during suspension being restricted until last ten (10) months
  • Refusals to submit under implied consent laws in Pennsylvania carry automatic administrative license suspension of one (1) year
  • Ignition interlock devices and even alcohol or traffic education courses, unless ordered by courts, are not prerequisite to reinstate license

Criminal Penalties

• First offense DUI in Pennsylvania with BAC range of .08 to .099 carries no minimum incarceration period, but requires six (6) months probation and payment of fines of at least $300. Fine amount does not cover expenses incurred during completion of sentence, including costs associated with serving probation
  • First offense DUI in Pennsylvania with BAC range of .10 to .159 carries penalty of mandatory incarceration of two (2) days with maximum up to six (6) months. Fines range widely from minimum of $500 to maximum of $5,000
  • First offense DUI in Pennsylvania with BAC range above .16 carry penalties of minimum of three (3) days incarceration with maximums set at six (6) months. Fines range from minimum of $1,000 to maximum of $5,000
  • Prior convictions remain on offender’s record and will influence future or subsequent DUI arrests for a period of five (5) years

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!