Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

Time limit search suit

Customer Question

time limit for illegal search suit
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The time limit (or statute of limitations) to file a suit against a city, county or the state of Arizona is 180 days to file a formal claim (which means that you put them on notice of your intent to sue) and one year to actually file the suit in a court of proper jurisdiction. The statutes for this requirement can be found in Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 12-821 and § 12-821.01.

It is a pretty quick turnaround. The statute of limitations for an illegal search would begin after it is determined that the search was illegal by a court of law, or by the date the incident occurred if no determination was made by a court.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please also rate my answer positively.

I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law and civil law experience.

Best wishes going forward!

You have any additional questions today?

Just checking in with you to see if you had any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks