Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son (University student) got Disorderly

Customer Question

Hi Robert,
My son (University student) got Disorderly conduct:loiter/prowl/wander private poperty and Peeks while loiter/prowls/wanders on private property. He was taking pictures from outside thru a window , and there was a 20year old girl he hasn't seen for months sleeping in the couch. He was drunk. University students live in this community/city. Is it ok to go with public defender lawyer for the preliminary hearings (Nov 17) or get a private lawyer to go to preliminary hearings? Would a private lawyer increase my son's chances to get not guilty in the preliminary hearings and not go to court anymore?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A public defender is typically overworked and looking for the easy way out of all cases. For the initial appearance a public defender is good, since all that involves is entry of a plea of guilty or not guilty. Beyond the initial appearance, the best chance of getting out of this successfully would be with using a local private attorney.
Do not hold your breath about resolving this at the preliminary hearings, very few cases end at that stage. However, once the evidence comes out at the preliminary hearing, the private attorney will be more apt to get the prosecutor to at least give some deal to eventually keep your son's record clear (but a prosecutor will be hesitant to do so until the preliminary hearings are over).