Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm just trying to find information about emergency

Customer Question

I'm just trying to find information about emergency traveling while in provation due to a sudden family dead.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Where and when is the funeral? Do you have any possibility of being able to notify your probation officer before you go?

In my experience, if you can't possibly reach the PO before you have to leave but you come back with copies of your tickets, if applicable, and proof of the death of your relative, you can generally avoid a violation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The funeral is tomorrow in Dominican Republic. She just passed an hour ago... i email him and left a message on the.office phone. Im scared of leaving without his permision but this very important to me and my mother.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I understand that you are scared. You know that technically you need permission to leave the area, let alone leaving the country. But every now and again that is impossible when there are extenuating emergency circumstances. Your probation officer may have to lodge a violation, but if you can show proof of the death and the date of the funeral -- the program from the funeral home will generally do it -- and your plane tickets which would show you returned promptly back home, it would be a very hard probation officer and judge that would revoke your probation for something like this.

I can't tell you to just go. You have rules you're supposed to follow. But I can tell you that I have had clients who attended funerals under these circumstances and who were able to avoid sanctions from the court.