How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the chances of probation first offense of

Customer Question

What are the chances of probation for a first offense of possession of controlled substance?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The answer to the question depends on many factors, including:

- how old is the alleged offender;

- does the person have a criminal record separate and apart from this charge;

- the attitude of the prosecution and the judge relative to first offense;

- the amount that was found on the person (felony amount versus misdemeanor).

Typically speaking, if the person is young without a criminal record and the amount is not a felony amount, then they have a pretty good chance of getting probation, or even having the charge remanded to the file (meaning there is no conviction unless they fail to perform the required community service or whatever the court orders).

If it is a felony amount, then it is extremely unlikely that the person will get probation.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively.

Best wishes going forward!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 18 years old with an absolute clean record.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Then you stand a very good chance to get probation if the amount was not a felony amount. I advice you to get an attorney (even if a public defender) and leverage them by sending requests to the prosecution that you are willing to perform community service or whatever it takes to avoid conviction or at least get probation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please also rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars).