CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

18 year old male arrested charged with: HS 11359 HS 11360A

Customer Question

18 year old male arrested charged with:
HS 11359 HS 11360A HS11391
DA finally charged him with 11359 and 1160A (both felonies)
He has never been in trouble before, he is a full time student in college.
Would this most likely be reduced???
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. There needs to be a legal basis for it to be reduced and I am inclined to believe that the amount/weight of the marijuana and what they allege he intended to do with it, are the basis for this being charged as a felony. As such, the DA is not just going to reduce or amend the charge, unless his attorney has a legal basis to support it. If the attorney does not and he has no legal defenses to raise, then a plea deal will likely need to be taken. Seeing how he is a first time offender and a student, the DA may be inclined to offer him a probationary sentence. He can probable avoid jail, depending on the facts and if so, probation is a likely sentence. it is important to be aware, that the DA will not just reduce a charge because it is someones first offense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The amount of marijuana was listed as 10oz or less. My kid says its more like 4oz. although he did have some edibles as well.

The attorney can ask for the evidence to be weighed again. There is a big difference between 10 and 4 oz, so the attorney needs to find out how the police weighed it. If it was improper, then there could be a basis to amend the charge.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!