Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was convited of second degree assult of a child.I had

Customer Question

I was convited of second degree sexual assult of a child.I had concentaul sex with a 15 year old femaie.Biggest mistake of my life! I serverd 5 years in prision and 5 on probation,passed all my requirments.I have not been in any trouble since.I would like to hunt again but I need my gun rights back.What can I do to make this happen?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I don't get to give a lot of good news in the criminal law category and, unfortunately, your question is not an exception. A felony conviction, no matter how old, will cost you your state and Federal gun rights. The Federal government will lift its restriction if your state gives you an expungement or a pardon or restores all of your civil rights, including your gun rights.

Felonies cannot be expunged in your state. Wisconsin automatically restores a felony offender's right to vote and to sit on a jury after the completion of his or her sentence. However, to get the rest of his civil rights back, including 2nd Amendment rights, the only way to do this is to obtain a pardon from the governor. Wis. Stat 941.29(s)(a),(b)

This presents a huge problem, because every governor can determine for himself just how frequently he wants to exercise his pardon power. And the present governor of Wisconsin does not believe in pardons and has suspended the pardon process indefinitely. So until your present administration changes or your present governor has a change of heart, there is simply no possibility at all to get your gun rights back.

I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.