Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My 19 year old daughter was stopped by police because she

Customer Question

My 19 year old daughter was stopped by police because she had a tail light out and they saw an unopened bottle of wine and she was issued a ticket and court date. Should she plead guilty and will she lose her license?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No she should not plead guilty. She should plead not guilty and seek to work out a deal. Open alcohol in the vehicle as a minor is grounds for a suspension of her license. In most of these cases if she pleads not guilty and goes to court, she would get a meeting with the prosecutor and at that time she can work out a deal with the prosecutor to drop one charge and let her pay the other or even give her a deferred adjudication, which means she pays the fine and community service and maybe does alcohol education, but upon completion they would agree to dismiss the charges and thus no suspension is imposed.
I would suggest it is best for her to use an attorney on this and spend the $300 or so because the savings in the end to her on insurance and not having a suspension would far exceed that.