CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

If I'm sitting in my car while staying at a hotel And a cop

Customer Question

If I'm sitting in my car while staying at a hotel And a cop searches me and finds class B substances, do they have the right to enter my hotel room and search entire room ? Also unlock my safe without permission !?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Do you know why they even approached you while you were in your car? Did you give them consent to search you or the hotel room, at any point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no reason he told my wife he seen me in the car n hour before he arested me.,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was staying at hotel on my way moving to South Carolina to get away from mass and now I have 4 charges of a class b substance and they took every penny o had cant register my car insure my car or even leave this hotel to continue our move. The Sargent even took the scratch tickets I pain for one which was $1000 winner !

Thank you for the additional information. It sounds as though there could be a basis to file a motion to suppress. I say this because the officer would need to have a basis to first approach your vehicle. Sitting in it, when it is legally parked is not necessarily a basis to just approach the driver unless they thought you were in danger or there was suspicious activity. Even then , to order you out of the car and to search it they would need a legal basis to do so. Even if they found something they could not simply go into your hotel room without consent and search it. With that being said your attorney needs to look into all the facts and see if there was a basis to support the actions of the officer and if there was not the evidence could be suppressed and if so the charges dropped along with the return of your money and items

Just wanted to follow up and see what other questions you may have or addition concerns. Thanks!