Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I've recently been arrested in North Carolina. The charge is

Customer Question

Hello. I've recently been arrested for absconding in North Carolina. The charge is over5 years old. Will the judge Grant me a continuation to get a lawyer at my first trial date? Thanks!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. You have a right, under the SIxth Amendment to the Constitution, to be represented by counsel. If you explain to the court that you have attempted to secure counsel, but have been unable to before the trial date, or that the counsel you have retained is unable to appear for the first trial date because of a conflict in scheduling, the court will grant you a continuance.

Be prepared to answer the court's questions as to what you have done to seek counsel. Sometimes the judge may want to ascertain that your request is legitimate, i.e., you're not stalling on finding a lawyer as a delay tactic. Even if it appears you are doing so, the court will typically grant a continuation, but it will be for a much shorter period.

Also, be prepared to ask for, or answer for how long you will need to retain counsel.

Good luck.

Please remember to rate my response. Just Answer only pays its experts if the customer rates the response. Thank you.

Just a reminder to please rate my response. Thank you.