Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Is a job applicant supposed to disclose this offense when

Customer Question

Good afternoon, Is a job applicant supposed to disclose this offense when filling out information to VCI for background check?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I don't see any previous question that you posted under this account. So please provide me with further information so that I can understand whether you'd have to disclose the offense or not? What sort of offense and how was it disposed of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While driving on a city street at fairly low speed (after work traffic), I rear ended a car. Police arrived and I was cited for Failure to drive with due care". I could either simply pay the fine by going to the city's court house or try to fight it. I tried to fight it briefly, so I went to court on a set date and requested the judge to dismiss it. He did not and I quickly simply paid the fine at the court counter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I need to disclose this while I fill out the information into the VCI
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Failure to Drive with Due Care is a petty offense which carries a civil fine only and which is NOT considered to be a crime in your state. Most applications which ask about criminal history tell you that you don't have to disclose traffic infractions. If this application says something along those lines too, there would be no reason to have to disclose it. What does the application ask for?