Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I'm currently serving a life sentence in Georgia and I would

Customer Question

I'm currently serving a life sentence in Georgia and I would like to know if I can get transferred to my home state of North Carolina to serve out the remainder of my sentence?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Have you served at least one year in GA?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

If yes, then I suggest you need to talk to your case manager/counselor and ask them for a Transfer form. Tell them you need to be closed to family that the trips for visits is a hardship on them.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The counselor does not have to agree with a transfer request. And if you cannot make headway with the counselor then I suggest a call to Classification and Transfers Director, at 404-656-xxxx might shed some light.

While the request for transfer can only be made by the inmate, I suggest the family can contact the Ombudsman/Family Advocate Phone:(###) ###-####and try to get some help.

The transfer not only is at the discretion and prerogative of the Department of Corrections, but the receiving state - in this case NC - must also agree.