CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I am from whichita kansas and going through my immigration

Customer Question

I am from whichita kansas and going through my immigration process, i got a court date for petit theft for $100 and i had no bad records till the present date. What would be the possibile consequences on me on my court date?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. As a first time offender, the State will likely offer and has a diversion program you can enter into, to get the case dismissed, upon its successful completion. If they do and you enter it, then your record would remain clean. However, the problem is that even if this is dismissed, it could have a negative impact on the immigration process, so you need to speak with your attorney and see if this can and should be resolved with diversion or if it is something that must go to trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no possibility of me going to jail though?

While it does carry jail under the law, there is very little chance at all, as a first time offender, for petit theft, that you will go to jail. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What might be the cost to dismiss the case?

You may have to pay some fines and costs in the diversion program but it should not exceed $100-$150

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really terrified of jail charges or revoke of my visa so i just wanted to know if there is any way i can prevent both of those to happen

Jail is highly unlikely to happen, as I shared. Moreover, if you can enter the diversion program and get the case dismissed, it should help your immigration issue but there is no guarantee.

Is there anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What else can be the possibile consequences??

If you did not enter the diversion program and went to trial or took a plea they could impose probation along with a fine or court costs as well as ordering that you do not return to the store. As I shared above, to avoid these potential consequences, you need to consider the diversion program if you have no defenses.

Good morning, are you still with me?