Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I have an criminal record from 1986 in Delaware. I was going

Customer Question

I have an criminal record from 1986 in Delaware. I was going through a divorce account was drained and I bounced two checks. I was not living with my husband and later found out by process of arrest. I made restitution immeadiately in court. One was dismissed, the other nolo contende, I pleaded guilty cause I did something that got me,arrested. After thirty years I find out I have a misdeanor. Never ever knew. Only found out because I applied for a nursing position with kids and they ran an Fbi check. I immediately contacted an attorney to handle this now in process. I lost the job offer, however another company called me before I wss aware and offered me a job. Not knowing I had a misdemeanor on my record I ofcourse checked no hx. I am working with an attorney, getting all the requirements to exponge this. Now I need to let them know I have this but in process of taking care of it. I have lived in Philadelphia for twenty six years, no criminal history. I also have known Jack xxx, Govenor of Delaware since I was four. How can I fix this faster.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Are you asking whether a expungement process can be done quicker?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize it takes time and proper steps. I do not want to lose this job offer for information I learned after my interview. I have been working with an attorney since last Friday getting SBI info. He feels that charges are ancient and restitution was made. One charge has M next to it and the first job offer HR person said I lied and how could I forget this. I never forgot it, never thought I was convicted of a crime cause I paid. Govenor of Delaware is a family friend. He would do anything for me if I asked and speak of my excellent reputation. Would a handwritten letter from him stating this is being handled safe my job if they take back offer from this event thirty years ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to eat or sleep well since finding this information out. My friends are worried that I am so sick over this. They say it's crazy,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a RN by profession. Only had check done because I will work with young adults in a private hospital setting, treatment center
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I still connected to you

Yes. Please give me some time to type up my answer.

Thank you.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, while Governor can grant an official pardon for the crime, once Petition for Pardon is filed with Governor's office, any letter from Governor would simply be a personal reference / recommendation, which can help the situation, but it would not have any legal effect when it comes to the misdemeanor conviction.

So, generally, unfortunately, there would not be any way to speed up the expungement process, and the only option that person in similar situation might have, is to offer personal references / letters of recommendation from established members of the community and/or government officials and also to offer detailed explanation to any potential employer as to when and how this conviction took place.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I have lost this new job offer also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a reasonable way to explain this to a potential employer or do they say like the last one. You lied and your still a criminal from thirty years ago

Thank you for your follow up.

It is important to disclose a misdemeanor criminal conviction upfront and offer explanation.

Basically, generally, the truth and honesty is the best policy, but it is important to also understand, that an employer does not have to accept the explanation and can still deny employment based on the criminal conviction, until such conviction is expunged and doesn't have to be revealed.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a letter from my attorney help. Honestly, I never knew I was convicted. I just paid. No judge said this is a misdemeanor. I was twenty five with no advice and scared and alone. Nobody ever said you are a convicted criminal.

Thank you for your follow up.

A letter of explanation can be offered, but it would be up to the employer whether to accept such explanation and to consider hiring the person.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you