CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

5 years ago I was arrested and had the case expunged, well I

Customer Question

5 years ago I was arrested for shoplifting and had the case expunged, well I was stupid again last month and was given a citation at Walmart to go to court tomorrow... Do I have to tell my court appt lawyer and judge that I have an expunged case?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. You do not have to volunteer any information to the Judge or Prosecutor, unless you are asked under oath. It is the responsibility of the prosecutor to check the NCIC and/or see if you have any priors or things of that nature and if they fail to do so, this would and could be charged as a first offense. However, you do want to speak with your public defender and advise them of this, since it would be protected and confidential and they can tell you if and how this could effect the case.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!