Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My wife pressed domestic violence charges on me in the state

Customer Question

My wife pressed domestic violence charges on me in the state of Kentucky when the information she gave happen in the state of New York we it get thrown out?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If the offense happened in another state, then New York would have no jurisdiction over the crime. That means, yes, the case can be thrown out because the court does not have the legal right to hear a case that happened in another state..

Did she press criminal charges or is she lookiing for a family court protective order? If the latter, she can get it in Kentucky and then lawfully have it served on you in New York, so that she's protected from you.