Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I am trying to get a better paying job and I need to get my

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to get a better paying job and I need to get my 3rd degree assault felony charged sealed from 2012 I am not on probation and all my fines are paid. I also got My GED in 2013 I went to a private collage to do hair and I am just not happy with doing hair and would like to do something different like care giving
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I understand that you are trying to expunge your criminal record. It appears that you are in Washington. In Washington, the process of expunging or sealing a criminal conviction is called "vacating a judgment."

Under Washington Statutes § 9.94A.640, felony convictions for violence or crimes against persons will not be vacated.

Felony assault in the third degree, however, under RCW 9.94A.030, is not defined as a "violent" crime for this purpose. So, based upon that, you could qualify for vacation.

The Washington courts website contains instructions on completing an application for sealing your records. See http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/index.cfm?fa=newsinfo.displayContent&theFile=content/guideToCrimHistoryRecords

I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to rate my response. Just Answer only pays its experts if the customer rates the response.