P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

My husband has a felony conviction from 1994 and a domestic

Customer Question

my husband has a felony conviction from 1994 and a domestic violence misdemeanor from 2002. I also have a nephew who lives with us that has a felony conviction from 2006. my 18 year old son wants to be a tactical paramedic for SWAT and other agencies and
has started paramedic courses. however, in the near future, he will need to go through the police academy. can he still do this with a family history such as this? also, can he still live at home if he has to have his gun locked up and 2 members of the household
have records?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

The fact a relative has a conviction is not going to be relevant. At all. SO nothing to worry about in that regard.

Now...the issue of keeping a firearm in the home is a potential problem. Not for the nephew...but conceivably for the folks living in the home who have lost their right to possess a firearm. The law treats actual possession (you are holding it in your hand) the same as constructive possession (you know where it is and can retrieve it). So if there is a firearm stored in the home where the felon(s) can retrieve it? They could face prosecution for possession of a firearm.

That said, if he maintains the weapon in such a way to deny access to the roommates? For example in a locked safe only the nephew has access to? That would protect the felons from prosecution.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.