Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was messing around on phone called a and agreed on a price

Customer Question

I was messing around on phone called a prostitute and agreed on a price and she asked if I can get condoms. After that she stated that she was a detective and I could be arrested if I keep ssearching for prostitutes. She also stated we wouldn't be meeting and asked me if I wanted some literature on trafficking. I said I'm sorry for messing around on the phone and I wasn't serious and I wouldn't do it again. I'm afraid of what can happen to me.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

You could be charged with solicitation - if you tell me what state this was in, I can give you an idea of the potential penalties, but typically, it is a misdemeanor, and while jail time is possible, generally people do not go to jail for it.

It doesn't sound like they charged you based on the details you provided. It sounds like they were just warning you -which makes me even wonder if it was a police officer, since it's not typical that they would reveal themselves over the phone or offer to send you literature. What would happen in a sting is that you would meet and once they were sure you wanted to go through with the act, arrest you.

The more time that passes without hearing anything, the less likely that you will hear from anyone again about the matter. Did this just happen?