Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

My spouse is not able to get a hunting license in the state

Customer Question

my spouse is not able to get a hunting license in the state of SD. As far as I know he doesn't have any felonies or anything against him on the searches that I have done. Why would he not be able to get a hunting license.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Do you know if he has any convictions, including misdemeanors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was taken in for a domestic dispute. No charges were filled, they were dropped. He was released.

Hello.

If he was not convicted, then there should be no reason why he is not able to get a hunting license, as long as he fits the requirements outlined here:

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/licenses/limited/app-requirements.aspx

Convictions for serious misdemeanors (punishable by over 1 year in jail), domestic violence (either felony or misdemeanor), and felonies prohibit someone from possessing any kind of firearm, so such a conviction would prevent him from getting a hunting license. But if he doesn't have a conviction, then this should not be an issue for him.

He may want to inquire with Game, Fish and Parks to see why he was denied. They may tell him so that he can rectify the problem if he is able, or to see if perhaps he has some kind of conviction he was not aware of or forgot about.