Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My so is in prison on a peace officer went to prison up

Customer Question

My so is in prison for assault on a peace officer went to prison for 5yrs up for parole 1/4/16 went in 8/15 what are his chancesfor getting out onthe first time. Nothing else on his record.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

That will depend on a number of things, including the extent of the injuries to the officer, whether the officer, his family, or representative oppose release, whether your son is able to show family and community support upon release, his age and maturity level, whether he's had any infractions in prison...especially fighting or assault.

If the assault was minor, no lasting injuries, and he has an otherwise strong case for parole, it is possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if he might get the first parole date 1/4/16
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The officer jumped on his truck and felland got two scratches onhisarm that's it my sonis 44 yrs has not been inany trouble i talk to the warden she told me his record was clean

If all of the criteria I mentioned are positive and in his favorite, then yes, it is possible that he be recommended for parole at that hearing. However, for a felony assault, it would be a faster than normal release. It's not impossible, but I cannot say that it would be highly likely.

Again, you can increase his chances by making sure he has employment already secured, has a supportive family to return to, establish that he has strong community ties, to show this was an anomaly, and will never happen again. By showing that you make it easier for him to be recommended for release.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was fair he was not clear enough for me what does anomaly mean. Of course I could look it up but I paid for clearity just didn't understand it clearly. Would I use him again NO!
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) Every parole hearing is on a case by case basis, based on subjective factors and the discretion of the parole board members. There is no specific "formula" for percentage of chance.

2) However, one can get a "general feeling" of his chances by the severity of his conviction as the parole board sees HERE.

3) As you can see, assault against a peace officer is labeled "F1 - HIGHEST" severity. This means, I am sorry to say, chances are slim that he would receive parole the first time around.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.