Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If an undercover police officer testifies before a grand

Customer Question

If an undercover police officer testifies before a grand jury, does he have to give his name?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Yes and no. They will sometimes allow confidential informants to not give their real name and either use an alias or something else and then file something with the court under seal with their real name on it. They could do the same with an undercover police officer if they allege it is because of security reasons.

However, if the matter actually goes to trial then the officer would almost certainly have to reveal their name so they could be investigated by the defense although it might require an order of the court to obtain that.