Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

If I asked someone to atop texting me because they keep on

Customer Question

If I asked someone to atop texting me because they keep on threatening to sue me for something I never did can I get them for harassment communications because they won't stop
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Under Alabama law, sending harassing communications is a misdemeanor. A harassing communication is one sent for the purpose of annoying or alarming someone. If they're just trying to irritate you, then you can file a police report. If they're sending these texts, for example, because they think you owe them money (even if you don't), then there would be a legitimate purpose for the texts and they're not considered harassment. But in the case, you could still either block the telephone number or tell them that they need to take the dispute to court instead of continuing to contact you about it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.