Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What does a fs investigator already know? If they have

Customer Question

What does a fs investigator already know? If they have access to your employment and wage info then why do they send an employment and wage verification to your employer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

By FS investigator what do you mean? Are you asking about Food Stamps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ma'am sorry I guess I should have spelled it out.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You probably would have gotten a much quicker answer had you spelled that out. Investigators who are checking into food stamp fraud have access to your tax returns and they have access to whatever paperwork you filled out in order to apply for food stamps. If there is a discrepancy between what you told them and what they find in your official records, They then reach out for verification from your employer and other sources to ascertain the truth about your actual income, your dependents, and the number of people in your house. Their job is to try to see if there is any fraud that you committed when you applied for food stamps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. I guess what I'm asking is if they do have access to tax returns than isn't that sufficient enough for income? Why would they notify employer if they have tax returns? It just seems as though the tax returns would be more concrete.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

They investigate various different records because they are looking for fraud. And people who are committing fraud can commit fraud in their tax returns took. It is their job to be thorough.