Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

Is there a Nevada law that requires a PD to inform a person

Customer Question

Is there a Nevada law that requires a PD to inform a person he is a major crimes witness before asking that person to help investigate a major crime.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you or your question. If by PD, you mean a public defender, then no, they have absolutely no duty to anyone other than their client to inform them of any information about an investigation or status of that individual as it relates to a particular case. Only the State (prosecutor's office or law enforcement) would have any kind of notice or disclosure requirement and then it would only exist if the person they were speaking to is suspected of the crime being investigated.

If you would like to provide context to your question I might be able to comment on that. Otherwise if you need any clarification, please feel free to ask.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 14th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.