Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

This lady I was seeing went on vacation to Florida -then

Customer Question

This lady I was seeing went on vacation to Florida -then asked me to fly down to join her. We had a view drinks went back to the hotel room with her kids. She goes to the bathroom I looked through her phone and seen she was txing another guy- I asked her about it she lies- of course I'm up set-so she snatches the phone out of my hand and I snatch it back " when I did she said "OUCH DON'T YOU HIT ME" I said what I didn't hit you. Her 7 year old son said "Mom xxxxx didn't hit you" She said "Yes he did you just saw it" Her son says ok he did it you ( I DIDNT HIT HER) she leaves the room with her kids and I'm still yelling " I didn't hit you your a liar and a whore" She goes down to the front desk and say" Please call the police he just hit me" Once again I said " I DIDNT HIT YOU. So I waited for the police 30-40 mins and they never came- Now that we are back home in Indiana she's now saying I beat her (NO MARKS ANYWHERE) and that I stole her daughters IPAD. My fear is that she is coaching her kids like she did and now will try to file a report what do I do. what can I do..
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All this happened in Florida and we live in Indiana- Now she is saying my family knows everything and that now I have beat her. I didn't hit her or beat her...
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

It sounds like she is trying to set you up because you caught her potentially cheating on you... But if she is claiming this happened in FL, then it could only be prosecuted in FL, so IN doesn't have any power to do anything.

.

If she is claiming that you assaulted her in IN, then I would suggest you tell her you want to talk about the situation and covertly record her, which is legal in Indiana. Then you would want to see if you can get her to make some type of incriminating statement where she admits she is lying because she is angry at you.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this all happened in Florida -- over the weekend -- I haven't seen her since we have returned to Indiana.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then she couldn't do anything in Indiana because Indiana doesn't have jurisdiction over alleged offenses in FL. FL law enforcement apparently didn't take her very seriously or they would have showed up then and likely arrested you on the spot if they believed her.

.

So IN can't do anything about something that allegedly happened in FL.

.

.

thanks

Barrsiter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's what I was thinking and she did go down to the Hotel office and say call the police which I'm sure they did and I waited .Nobody ever showed up ( I left and flew back home ) So what happens if she tries to go back to Florida and file a report against me.. Do they just take her word ?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

The police would normally take the report, file it, and then let the DA determine whether or not to file any charges. But without any witnesses, no physical evidence, no photos, and the amount of time that will have passed, I kind of doubt a DA is going to file a formal criminal charge..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that's the entire point of all this - Her son will say anything his mother tells them to. .. and that's my fear - she will have her son Lie - if she does file something -- maybe she did file something that night - I just don't know... But I never hit her .I'm 6" 4 250 lbs ...she's 5"2 113 lbs .. I would have left a mark .
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I am not sure what else to tell you. If she is going to try and pursue this, there is nothing you could do to stop her. You can just respond or try to catch her in her lie by recording any conversations you have with her.

.

But anything she tried would have to be in FL and that is kind of a long way to drive/fly back to pursue something that the police didn't bother showing up for on the night of the alleged incident...

.

.

thanks

Barrsiter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thx for ur help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Think I will just stay away from her and her kids .. I was yelling at her in front of her kids that I did do.... But I never hit her period. ..Thx .
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is probably best because you know the old saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

.

But I don't think you have much to worry about here if nothing happened with the police on the night she claims this happened .

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks