CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My wife got arrested yesterday on domestic violence and

Customer Question

My wife got arrested yesterday on domestic violence and misdemeanor. Today I talked to prosecutors office and they said they would not drop the charges but might offer her plea in which she plead guilty to one of the charge and she will be offered anger
management classes after which charges would be dismissed. She said state is prosecuting and I would be a witness. The report I had has me as victim but she said even if I do not press charges state would. Should we take deal or higher a layer and contest.
Is it going to give us anything.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. The ability of the State to proceed, is based upon your cooperation, as the victim. It is at their discretion to prosecute and file charges, since this is a crime against the State and you are the victim and they represent your legal interest. Even though you do not want them to, they still can. As such, if she wants to fight this, then she should 100% retain an attorney and they can share with her what needs to be done, to succeed and eventually have the case dismissed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!