Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was charged with petty theft recently in Shelby county

Customer Question

I was charged with petty theft recently in Shelby county Alabama. It is my 1st crime other than a few speeding tickets. I am not from Atlanta. I was reading the answer you gave to a similar question about getting a public defender. Shelby County public defender's office answering machine stated they only represent felons. Do you recommend I get an attorney?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me:

1) Have you been to Court yet, or not?
2) Are you employed? Disabled in any way? How old are you?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.