Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Earlier this year my daughter received a ticket and at the

Customer Question

Good morning, earlier this year my daughter received a ticket for speeding and at the time she did not have her license. When she went to court she showed her license and they continued her case for whatever reason. She went to court again and received another continuance. When she was unable to come back to court Will County issued a warrant for her arrest - for a speeding ticket. Police officers even showed up at my home to arrest her.
How do I handle this as she has a court date tomorrow?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Do you know where your daughter is? If you do you need to tell her she should go to court, and she really should have a lawyer with her if you can get her one. In that way, because she voluntarily would be coming back to court, a lawyer may be able to make a good argument for her continued release while she fights her case.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that if your daughter doesn't show up for court, the police will keep coming back to you to see if you know where she is. It is a criminal offense to offer assistance to allow someone to evade the law. So if it appears that you are helping your daughter avoid returning to court, you can be charged with a crime.

As for her, you cannot do anything to make her situation better except to help her to find a lawyer and convince her to return and get the warrant lifted.