Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have a fenoly support it is all paid off but at the time I

Customer Question

I have a fenoly for child support it is all paid off but at the time I was young and did not have a full time job I was told by a Cory appointed lawyer to take probation to later find out it was a Fenoly conviction I have a problem not being able to vote or some jobs look down on me can't own a fire arm I should not be judged for being young and pore please help
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

First of all, please note that under Texas Election law, you are permitted to register to vote as soon as your entire sentence has been completed. So if you have completed your probation, etc you can vote. You simply need to go to your local Board of Elections and register

Here is the LINK for that Texas Code.

In this code, "qualified voter" means a person who:

(1) is 18 years of age or older;

(2) is a United States citizen;

(3) has not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:

(A) totally mentally incapacitated; or

(B) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;

(4) has not been finally convicted of a felony or, if so convicted, has:

(A) fully discharged the person's sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or

(B) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote;

(5) is a resident of this state; and

(6) is a registered voter.

As to not being able to own a firearm and your conviction keeping you from getting work, if you had a Deferred adjudication, you can petition for an expungement and sealing of your arrest records.

If it was not a deferred, then you need to begin with applying for a Pardon from the Governor.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I suggest, you consider checking with the clerk of the court where you were convicted and find out if it was for a Deferred Adjudication. If yes, then get the forms from the clerk to file for the expungement.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Otherwise, here is the LINK to obtain a Pardon/Clemency from the Governor.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you