Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My 14 year old daughter apprehended last night liquor at

Customer Question

My 14 year old daughter apprehended last night for stealing liquor at vons, during the apprehension a female chased her and grabbed her by the hair , she tripped and when she was trying to get up another man got her in a choke hold and held her until she basically could not breath. I have finger print marks and scratches on her neck, can loss prevention do that
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I meant is that I. Took pictures of all the marks and scratches and finger print marks left on her neck. There is also a witness who saw the whole thing
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

If a shoplifter, for example, is trying to flee the store, store security would be able to use reasonable force to detain her and hold her for the police. The force can be no greater than what's needed to stop her. Whether the store's force was reasonable or excessive would depend upon the particular facts and circumstances of a case. Your daughter would be able to challenge this during the course of her case.

It is good that you took photos of her injuries, as she may also be able to sue the employee and the store for her assault. You should show them to a local lawyer with regard to this.