How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33147
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person paying child support in PA, but then gets a

Customer Question

If a person paying child support in PA, but then gets a warrant for unpaid child support in another state - where he is not a resident and has never been paying child support in - can that other state file a warrant for arrest? Ex wife is playing games, lying to the court about unpaid child support and apparently it's working. PA is collecting child support, the other State never has and ex wife filed for collection there also. That state sent a letter for arrest warrant for unpaid child support in that state. Is there a simple fix, don't have the funds for an attorney there.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

Are they supposed to issue a warrant, no, not based on the facts as you gave them. Can they? They obviously did.

The problem you have is that once the warrant is issued or the case filed then the only way to handle the case is to defend it there where it is pending. You don't want to wait on it because child support warrants typically go into the national warrant database and you could be pulled over for a traffic violation and then arrested and spend a few weeks in jail until you are extradited and then a few more in the other state where you wait to have a lawyer appointed and get a hearing date.

So that you're aware, you can be ordered to pay child support in a state where you do not and have not resided if the child resides there. All 50 sates are members of an interstate company on child support now and so a court of the state where the child resides can issue orders that can be enforced against a person residing in another state or modify child support orders originally issued in a different state.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions