Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

49 years ago i was charged wi th auto theft was on probation

Customer Question

49 years ago i was charged wi th auto theft was on probation for 3 years. i was given first offender pardon. i am now 66 years old was trying to get a firearms license but was declined. how do i get a copy of the pardon
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest you will need to contact the Governor's office and they can provide you information on how to reach the state Archives where those documents are surely stored.

However, keep in mind that a Pardon does not mean you can have your Second Amendment Rights. Because of federal law, once you get the pardon, you then must Petition the court to have the court records expunged and any arrest records sealed.

It is a two step process. The pardon only made you eligible to petition for the expungment.

I suggest you can check with the clerk of the court and ask if they have record of your Pardon. And if yes, then request the forms to Petition for expungment of your records.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

A pardon does not restrict, erase, or seal the charge from your criminal history. You will receive a certificate of rehabilitation, and it will be noted on your official Georgia criminal history record. So the clerk should have a record of it.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

And I said contact the Governor's office. But that is incorrect. Your pardon came from the State Board of Pardons & Paroles

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

So you can contact them. But I assure you the reason your gun rights were denied is because the matter was never expunged and all arrest records sealed.