Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I really have had 2 DUI's in the state of Missouri I moved

Customer Question

I really have had 2 DUI's in the state of Missouri I moved back to my hometown Wichita Kansas and Kansas is willing to give me my license back but Missouri has put a hold on me why and how do I resolve this issue Missouri does not want to give me my license back until 2023 they would like me to file a petition and who knows how long that might take to even get a court date when I live in Wichita I have no where to stay down there to do their process is there any way I can handle this on my own
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, if you lost your driving privileges in Missouri, no other state will let you have a license until you resolve your Missouri matter. The best way for you to resolve this would be to contact a Missouri criminal lawyer to let him write and file the petition and argue it for you. That way, if you had to come in at all, it would only be for the court appearance and the lawyer could handle all of the other logistics. Petitions of the sort you would need to file are not boiler plate. That is, you're not going to find anything on the web. It would have to be drafted from scratch and conform to the format and substance required by your state's criminal procedure law.

If you are not sure where to find a criminal lawyer in Missouri, a good place to start would be the Missouri State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50, which includes a free half hour consultation with the lawyer. You can have that over the telephone so that you don't have to come in from Kansas just to meet the lawyer.