Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was recently asked by the police if I would go undercover

Customer Question

I was recently asked by the police if I would go undercover and wear a wire and hel po them bust a meth dealer. I really want to help because this guys really needs to be taken off of the streets. He sold some meth to a very good friend of mine and killed
her. However if I do this will he for certain find our it was me and more importantly will it be a matter of record that anyone who looks me up be able to see paperwork on me? Like someone else who decides to research me go see if I was a " snitch "?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Police always try to protect the identity of their confidential informants. A defense attorney, however, will generally try to find out who that informant is, and there are times when a judge will side with the defense and order the prosecutor to reveal the name of the informant in the case.

Also, the police will not be able to guarantee that you won't have to testify if the case goes to trial. The overwhelming number of criminal cases end in pleas and not in trial, but trials do happen. While the state can ask for a closed courtroom to keep outsiders from seeing the identity of the informant, the defendant himself does not get excluded.

So, nobody is going to be able to research you and see that you were a snitch. But it is possible that you will have to appear in court in front of the defendant himself at his trial.