RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have a quick question. My boyfriend is on probation old

Customer Question

hello.
I have a quick question. My boyfriend is on probation for an old DUI and is currently finishing up treatment to stay in compliance with said probation. I as well am on probation from a DUI but I have finished all of my requirements and no longer have to be supervised, My question is last night we were fighting, while both intoxicated and I called the police. I told them that it was a non emergency and that he wouldnt leave when asked. He did eventually leave right after I called so I immediately called back and told them it was unnecessary for them to send anyone out, I didnt want to waste their time. I hung up the phone and immediately fell asleep on the couch, when about twenty minutes later i woke up to them knocking on the door. I answered and let them in and explained what had happened and i was extremely sorry that they had to come out. We were not physical at all with each other or loud, i had overreacted and wasnt thinking clearly. Come to find out my boyfriend had come back in the house and went to bed in the bedroom when i had fallen asleep on the couch. They handcuffed him and detained him for a few minutes while they asked us both questions and i again explained what happened. They took both of our names and birth dates and ran them on the computer and didnt find any warrants or anything of that nature so they didnt arrest my boyfriend or give us any citations or warnings. I said thank you for their help and they left. My question is, what happens now? Are we both likely to be in trouble or will this be something so minute that they will record it in the computer and move on?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Based on these facts, I would say you have no reason to worry. They responded only because you called, but they made no arrests because there were no outstanding warrants and they had no probable cause (no reasonable belief) that a crime had been committed. It would have been different if there were signs of violence or there were warrants, but that not being the case, this likely just gets reported in their system as officers responding to a call, and that's it.

I don't know what the terms of your boyfriend's supervision are, but since he wasn't arrested for anything, the fact that the police were called out shouldn't be a violation, and they shouldn't even be alerted to the matter.

If you need clarification or have further questions, kindly REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.