P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

In ohio if aperson confesses to a criminal act but the

Customer Question

in ohio if aperson confesses to a criminal act but the statue has expired by 10 years can they be prosecuted
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

If the statute has truly expired, the state is barred from prosecution.

That said, it is important to understand that the statute of limitations can be "tolled" (basically, the clock is put on "pause") in certain circumstances.

Here is the code that applies

2305.15 Tolling during defendant's absence, concealment or imprisonment.

(A) When a cause of action accrues against a person, if the person is out of the state, has absconded, or conceals self, the period of limitation for the commencement of the action as provided in sections 2305.04 to 2305.14, 1302.98, and 1304.35 of the Revised Code does not begin to run until the person comes into the state or while the person is so absconded or concealed. After the cause of action accrues if the person departs from the state, absconds, or conceals self, the time of the person's absence or concealment shall not be computed as any part of a period within which the action must be brought.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.