TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I wanted to know if it is possible to drop the charges on

Customer Question

I wanted to know if it is possible to drop the charges on someone if they got caught for stealing my motorbike/car or burgling my flat.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

A required element of theft and burglary is that the accused must have taken the property or entered the premises without permission. Accordingly, if the owner states that the accused had permission, then the entire case falls apart. This means that the answer to your question is yes, you (the owner) can drop the charges simply because the prosecutor could never win the case without you. If he persisted, then you could testify on behalf of the accused, and no court in the nation could convict if the owner of the property in question testified that the accused had permission to do what he did.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need any more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!