Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

I am 43 years old. I spent 5 years in prison from 1991 to

Customer Question

I am 43 years old. I spent 5 years in prison from 1991 to 1996 for the conviction of murder. I pled guilty to 2 counts of murder and 2 counts of 1st degree assault. This was from a car wreck at age 17 where I was drunk driving and hit another car. I haven't been in any other trouble before or since this accident. I was young and didn't realize what I was doing. I have aprox. 100 letters from family and friends. What are the chances of me getting a pardon. I applied about 6 years ago and it was like a joke. I am serious about this and I continue to prove that I am not a criminal. Any help will be appreciated.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

First, let me ask a question: What is the purpose of your pardon? To restore rights that you have lost as a result of this (right to own a firearm, for instance), or simply to get it off your record?

Thanks,

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir thank you for responding. The answer to your question is both.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the chance of being pardoned for Murder are very slim to none. This is the type of offense is one that no Board of Pardons or Governor wants to be known for pardoning. They just don't have any incentive to do it, as its obviously the worst thing you can do. I understand that the circumstances of your incident lend you to believe that you are "less culpable" than perhaps some other person charged with murder who intentionally killed someone, and I tend to agree. I definitely appreciate your wish to get this off your record and have your rights restored. However, my personal opinion is that you don't have a very good chance of it happening.

I do suggest you speak to a local attorney about this, however, as any chance would be worth trying. I also don't have the ability to understand your whole case, so I can only answer as to what I see on the surface and that may create a situation where I miss something, etc. Check it out and see if a local attorney who looks at your whole circumstance and all your letters feels the same way I do - unfortunately, from my perspective it will be an uphill battle.

Good luck!

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers unless we are rated. If you have further questions, I'll be happy to follow up until you are completely satisfied.

Michael