Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

My fiancée is being held in Nigeria and fined 10,000

Customer Question

Hello my name is Martha my fiancée George is being held in Nigeria and fined 10,000
for oil drilling. They have all his papers. All of George's money is in the UK. I need some
help to get money to him for the fine. He is from the UK, but has lived in the states for
most of his adult life. We have long passed getting help from family, and friends. I have did all I can with money. I do have power of attorney for him. Please someone help us.
Martha
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Please forgive me for asking these questions, but they are necessary, because the fact pattern you've presented is consistent with a common scam:

1. How long have you known George?

2. Did you meet him online?

3. Have you ever met in person?

4. Why is he being fined? Is he being charged with a crime? If not, who is holding him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Believe me I know what you are saying, but this is not a joke or scam Is this why I can't get a good answer has to how I should go about helping him getting his money.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Does that mean you have met him in person?

Why is he being fined? Is he being charged with a crime? If not, who is holding him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to meeting him the area where he was drilling is a mess. the government of Nigeria is holding him he is staying with someone he met there
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If he's gotten his U.S. citizenship, he can contact the US Embassy to see if they can assist him in working with the government. The embassy will likely not be able to assist you, because they've also seen this fact pattern thousands of times, appearing in scams. But if he's truly a US citizen in Nigeria in need, they can help him. If the government is holding his passport, they'll work to get him a new one. There may be other things they can do.

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/

If he's still a citizen of the UK, he'll want to contact the British Consulate instead.

https://embassy-finder.com/united-kingdom_in_lagos_nigeria

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has been to both Consulate they won't help because of the type of crime the state has all his papers
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to be 100% honest with you - I have never, ever seen this fact pattern when the person claiming to be held wasn't scamming the person he was asking to send money. And I've seen this fact pattern hundreds of times. I realize that you're positive it's not a scam, but I'm honestly not convinced. And if it's not - it isn't my area of expertise. If he's not getting assistance from the Embassies and he can't hire a Nigerian criminal attorney, I don't have any other ideas. I'm going to open this up to the other experts to see if any of them can offer a suggestion. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I keep asking but no one has given any help this is not going to be worth 45