Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Import of drugs to Indiana

Customer Question

import of drugs to Indiana
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are the restrictions if any for the filing and import of valid prescriptions from Canada to the state of indiana
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

In most circumstances, it is illegal for individuals to import drugs into the United States for personal use. This is because drugs from other countries that are available for purchase by individuals often have not been approved by FDA for use and sale in the United States. For example, if a drug is approved by Health Canada - FDA’s counterpart in Canada - but has not been approved by FDA, it is an unapproved drug in the United States and, therefore, illegal to import because the FDA cannot ensure the safety and effectiveness of drugs that it has not approved.

However, the FDA has a policy explaining that it typically does not object to personal imports of drugs that FDA has not approved under certain circumstances, including the following situation:

• The drug is for use for a serious condition for which effective treatment is not available in the United States;
  • There is no commercialization or promotion of the drug to U.S. residents;
  • The drug is considered not to represent an unreasonable risk;
  • The individual importing the drug verifies in writing that it is for his or her own use, and provides contact information for the doctor providing treatment or shows the product is for the continuation of treatment begun in a foreign country; and
  • Generally, not more than a 3-month supply of the drug is imported.

I wish the answer was more definitive for you.

I do not participate in the phone call offers made by this site. They are automatically generated and do not come from me. However, we can continue here. Participating in phone calls can be construed as a client attorney relationship and that is not the case here. I am only providing you information and guidance.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you