Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have a friend who was stopped and searched at a airport

Customer Question

I have a friend who was stopped and searched at a airport because ,someone called crime stoppers on him about transporting drugs . They did not find nothing and we travel a lot are they going continue check and searching him after we get off future flights ? And if we find out who the person wS that called crime stoppers can he sue them defamanation of character ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry that your friend has experienced this. Unfortunately, he is on a "watch list" now. And so there is no guarantee that they will not be keeping an eye on him and while they need to have probable cause, such as another report of possible drug activity they would have the probable cause to search.

I suggest that reports to crime Stoppers are confidential. Calls are received at the local Crime Stoppers tips line phone. This phone is a stand alone instrument which does not provide caller ID, and conversations are not recorded. The Crime Stoppers call taker takes your information and passes it on to the investigating officer. Calls are accepted regarding any publicized request for information, such as "Wanted Suspects" or such other felony crime(s) the caller has knowledge of.

So I have no suggestions for how you can get the information on the confirmation of the tipster. But if you do, you could have a basis for a defamation lawsuit, yes.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of watch list is my buddy on isn't there a few wTch list's ?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I suggest that it would be a list that targets possible drug dealers. Yes, there are terrorist watch lists.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The point is, his name is ***** ***** And now they actually can stop him at will and say they had a call. And unfortunately, there is no way to verify if they did or did not get such a call, as I stated, the calls are not traceable.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I could tell you that he is not being watched. But that would not be accurate nor true information.