AttyDort
AttyDort, Litigation Attorney
Experience:  Criminal and Civil jury trial expeirence; 17 yrs exp in state and federal courts.
67981144

My cell phone have been blocked by the FBI as a result of

Customer Question

my cell phone have been blocked by the FBI as a result of scaning through my phone to discover some porn sites and has asked me to pay $500 or go to jail for 5 years. please I want to know if that goes according to the law.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

No! Do not pay. The FBI never charges people fines. If you have a real fine, it will be imposed by a court, not the FBI. This sounds like a full on scam. Do not pay anyone claiming to be the FBI any money at all.

Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

If you are being charged with a crime, it will happen in court. It will be the court, through a judge, that tells you what you are charged with. This sounds like a claimed felony. If this were real, you would have a prosecutor charging the case, and you definitely have the right to a Defense Attorney appoint to represent you if you cannot afford one yourself. Do not pay anyone, or admit to anything without speaking with an attorney in court.

Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

The FBI is a law enforcement agency. They are not a court. They are not prosecutors. The only agency that can impose a criminal penalty on you like that is the court. There are local county courts in each state. There are also federal courts. Both of them could handle criminal cases of this sort. But you would not have to pay at all unless they convicted you, and you would have the right to a trial and to a public defender attorney if you needed one.

So bot***** *****ne: no, do not pay the FBI. And do not pay or admit anything related to this without speaking to a defense attorney in court.