AttyDort
AttyDort, Litigation Attorney
Experience:  Criminal and Civil jury trial expeirence; 17 yrs exp in state and federal courts.
67981144

I was trying to find out what can I do if I am being stalked

Customer Question

Hi I was trying to find out what can I do if I am being stalked or harassed by past neighbors but cannot prove it
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

You can get a temporary restraining order, and then a permanent restraining order at your local courthouse. Most applications for a restraining order begin with a declaration, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the applicant was threatened, suffered injury, or some assault. Temporary restraining order can be issued in that declaration alone. If the defendant challenges the order, they have the right to a trial for the permanent restraining order. At that trial, you would need some additional evidence, like video.

I'd say monitor the situation with video from a cell phone, keep notes, and apply for a temporary restraining order as soon as you feel threatened.

There are no fees for filing a restraining order application in nearly all courts. Most courts have the form for that application on their web site with simple instructions.