P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

My girlfriend and I had an altercation and she was arrested

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I had an altercation and she was arrested for simple assault and domestic violence. This was a complete misunderstanding and we are concerned about her losing her job. We live in New Hampshire and the arraignment is on October 5th. How can we get this dropped or can we just get a violation as opposed to a misdeamenor?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Can you tell me, have you spoken to the prosecutor yet? That is, as the victim, you have the right to speak to the prosecutor and let them know your concerns...have you done so yet? If so what was the response?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Lets keep the conversation here

You say

Hi Mr. Simmons, I did speak with the advocate but not the prosecutor.

The first thing to do is speak to the prosecutor. NOT the advocate...the prosecutor. THey have discretion...which means they have the final say on if there will be a prosecution or not.
SO you will want to make your concerns known to the prosecutor.

It may be they agree to drop the case.

Further you can let them know you have no desire to assist them with this case...and that alone may be enough to convince them to drop the charges.

You can not force this...they can prosecute despite your request to the contrary...but in most cases if the victim declines to prosecute the state will drop charges

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Follow up, wanted to see if you had more questions. My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.